Sunday, June 24, 2007

I'm Done Making Predictions!

Saturday's Yuma-OC double-header results:

Game 1 ~ Yuma on top 5-0, gives up nine unanswered runs. Lose 9-5.

Game 2 ~ Yuma never recovers from being down 3-0, Maydew beans opposing batters indiscriminately, he and Marshall tossed. Lose 3-1.

I thought a few solid hours of sack time would improve my mood. Wrong. I'm still ticked at the outcome of yesterday's Yuma-OC double-header. The Scorpions have dropped three straight and I'd like to see this type of behavior come to a screeching halt. Right now. This type of nonsense is simply unacceptable.

Yesterday afternoon's (pre-game) blog detailed how the Scorpions owned the best W-L percentage in independent baseball. Well, that sure didn't last long, did it?

While Yuma still maintains a slim lead over Orange County and Chico (both 10-6, .625, 1 1/2 gb) in the GBL, a quick peek at yesterday's results across the eight independent leagues I've been watching show that Yuma is now tied for 6th (of 66 teams). Still not too shabby, but the local nines need to right this ship.

The Frontier League's Windy City ThunderBolts club improved to 24-7 (.774) giving them the top spot that was, until yesterday's miserable double-header, held by the Scorpions. The second through fifth spots are held by the American Association's Saltdogs (.744, dropped a game), followed by the SCL Peanuts (.733), the Can-Am League's Jackals (.714) and the Frontier League's Grizzlies (.710) all of whom claimed victories yesterday. Tied at 6th are our own Yuma Scorpions and the Northern League's Gary Railcat's (winner), both at .706.

Yesterday I also boldly predicted that Yuma would take both games from the Flyers.

I think I need to start making ' opposite' predictions. For instance, tonight I think the Yuma club is going to have their hats handed to them in their final game of the series at OC. There, now maybe they'll win. I cannot believe I just typed that.

A friend told me after yesterday's games that I shouldn't carry on so when the Scorpions lose. He calmly said, "It's only a game." I'm glad he pointed that out to me. I've lived my entire life thinking baseball is life!

I'd have breakfast now but my appetite is shot. Is it five o'clock somewhere?

3 comments:

Heather said...

"tonight I think the Yuma club is going to have their hats handed to them in their final game of the series at OC"

You should go buy a lottery ticket.

Keith K. said...

In the immortal words of George Will:

Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona.

Tell you freind that!

cynical1 said...

One big, beutiful freakin hole, but in the end, yes, just a hole!