Saturday, June 30, 2007

The Scorpions Win! The Scorpions Win!

Finally! After dropping seven straight, the Scorpions have a win and can we assume, without jinxing, that the monkey is finally off the Scorpions' backs? (BTW, that marmoset in the pic is Olivia. I know what it's like to have a monkey on my back, both literally and figuratively, so I can sympathize!).

After a 15-0 loss Monday last at Chico (the worst loss of the season) I thought the death knell had tolled for the local boys and things couldn't get any worse. I'm pleased to report that that appears to have been the case as I continue to see some improvement with the local nines.

To recap the past few games, the club was badly embarrassed Monday when they dropped their first game at Chico by a score of 15-0. The team suffered another loss (4-1) to Chico Tuesday but that loss wasn't nearly as dramatic (traumatic?) as Monday's. Wednesday the club lost a real heartbreaker (3-2) in the bottom of the 9th, but they allowed less runs to be scored on them, and they themselves scored more runs than Tuesday so I was hopeful that the club was showing some signs of life. At that pace I figured it was only a matter of time before the boys chalked up a win, and that came Friday at Reno when the boys claimed a 6-3 victory. Perhaps a day off (Thursday), and a new locale (not in Chico, where the team was swept!), was what was needed. Time will only tell.

This evening Chico hosts Orange County, first and second in the standings, respectively. I'm going to hope the Flyers, the lesser of the two evils, claim a win. I think Chico is on a real tear, and they do have home field advantage, so I think OC is going to have their hands full. However, OC didn't make it easy for the Outlaws last evening as it took ten innings for Chico to scratch out a 6-5 win.

I'm off to the driving range to improve my swing (truly a lost and hopeless cause) and then I believe I'll spend some time on the river. The Yuma-at-Reno series continue this evening, with game two starting at 7:00 p.m. Remember, no radio reception on the water so I won't be tempted to listen to the game. I'm pretty superstitious; when I listen the club loses, when I don't listen they win. I think someone is trying to tell me something.

Y'all have a safe, super weekend!

3 comments:

Keith K. said...

Glad to see a win from Yuma. They played well and earned it last night. Reno continues to let mental errors become physical errors that cost them the games.

Heather said...

Hey Keith I thought about you when I was listening to the game last night...I see you on OurSportsCentral...sorry but YEA USSSSS!!!! It's about DAMN time! We had our pitching on, we had our bats swinging, and the Sox's errors didn't hurt us either. Just think what could happen when we play at 100% and not 75%.

Keith K. said...

Sox tried their best to blow it in the ninth but they just evened the series. I really like Yuma to be honest. I don't think their hot start was a fluke. They coudn't go 70-5 of course but I still think they and Chico are the top two teams in the league no matter what their records say over the next couple of weeks!