Monday, June 18, 2007

What You - The Fan - Can Expect

As the title implies, this blog is pretty much random. What I'm thinking, or what I've witnessed, on any particular game day. Occasionally I'll manage a road trip to catch our local club away, which is pretty promising from a spectator's standpoint. We all know that people behave in an entirely different manner when they don't think they are being documented. Yes, I know, difficult to believe in this day and age of rapidly advancing technology but, trust me, it happens! Okay, now that I've served to put the team on notice...

What can you, the fan, expect to find on, or learn from, this blog? Simple: a look at what life is like in professional baseball. And I don't mean simply the standings, the box scores, the player stats, or the occasional bench-clearing brawl ~ all of these things are readily available through the mainstream media. This blog will inform the public of what actually happens on a day-to-day basis. Nothing 'mature' in nature - this is a kid friendly blog so feel free to share it with your fourth-grader! And don't forget the Scorpions Reading Program put on by 1st Bank Yuma! An outstanding way to reach out to our youth and encourage them to pick up a book!

What exactly does the front office staff do on game day?

What is it like to be a host family?

What do the players do on off-days or after a game?

Is the club involved in civic and charitable works?

How does the staff prepare the stadium for a game?

What is the Scorpions Booster Club? What do they do for the team? How do you get involved?

Where does all of that merchandise come from? And who decides what the club is going to offer for sale to the public?

And that guy that does the Scorpions play-by-play on the radio when the team is on the road - what exactly does he look like? We all know that we hear a voice (without seeing a face) and we have this preconceived notion of what that person looks like and then when we do see them - they don't look anything like we imagined they would! (I'm going to 'date' myself here by saying that I used to listen to Casey Kasem's Top 40 in the early '80s, before I actually saw a photo of him. Shocked? You'd better believe it!) That's what I'm saying! We create this vision of a person based on their voice and then - wham! - reality strikes and it shocks you to the core.

As I type these lines, the club has had a total of eleven games, nine home and two away. I've managed to make it to four or five home games and no away games (yet). A lot of you have stopped me for a chat and asked about Benny (Castillo). About Pat (Brown). Where are Blake ("Lou") and Chris ("El Guappo"). Robbie and Tana are gone.

Well, one thing at a time. I haven't spoken with Benny in about a week, but I've left him a message to give me a ring. I'll get the scoop on his new position with the Tigers and post it here (telling him I'm doing so, of course). I know that Benny enjoyed the two seasons he spent here in Yuma and he'll have something to say to all of you.

I shall close for now, but a little birdie told me that there might be trouble a-brewin' at Desert Sun regarding Whisler's ejection the other night. Details to follow...

No comments: