Monday, June 18, 2007

Welcome!

Greetings to you Yumans (and those of you outside of our area) who are interested in our hometown nines, aka the Yuma Scorpions Baseball Club, one of six teams in the independent Golden Baseball League (GBL).


Having become increasingly dismayed with the lack of updates on the Scorpions' Web site I've decided to create this blog in an attempt to offer something additional ~ news, player and manager/coach information, my observations of the games, photographs, perhaps a player and/or coach interview, &c. ~ to the fans of the club. I may even dabble in critiquing the ballpark cuisine and the playcalling of the fellows in blue!


This blog is not designed to compete with the Scorpions' or the GBL's Web sites, or the local newspaper, The Sun. Rather it's just another source that will hopefully offer something different to the fans from what is currently available, as well as allow you - the reader - to post comments, opinions and observations.


At present my plans do not include rehashing the history of the Scorpions as there are quite a few sources of information on the Web ~ simply Google 'Yuma Scorpions' and you will find thousands of links. However, if I come across some interesting, relevant information and/or photos from the 2005 and 2006 seasons I'll post it/them (as I have the time; I do have a life).


As I type these lines our boys are 10-1, their only loss occurring on day one of a two-day road trip to Long Beach ~ or, if you prefer, the Long Beach Armada of Los Angeles of California of the United States of North America including Barrow, Alaska. (To put this right out front, I find this name change to be completely and utterly ridiculous. Henceforth, I will simply refer to the Armada as 'Long Beach' or 'LB.')


The Scorpions depart tomorrow (Tuesday, 19 June) for what will be a very long road trip ~ 14 games in five cities (LB, OC, Chico, Reno, St. George) over 15 days. The final series of this trip is at St. George which, if MapQuest is fairly accurate, is roughly 450 miles. I'm thinking the boys will depart St. George after the final game there Tuesday the 3rd to turn around and play at home on Independence Day. Folks, the boys are going to be glad to get back home and I expect a large turnout at Desert Sun Stadium to welcome them! Plus, they'll only be home for three days before departing again, so if you'd like to see Marshall and crew make your plans now. We all know that the 4th of July at Desert Sun Stadium is virtually assured of a sell-out!

Tune your radio dial to Yuma's AM560 KBLU tomorrow. First pitch at 7:05 p.m.

1 comment:

Keith K. said...

Great blog. I started a Reno Silver Sox blog for exactly the same reason.