Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Peace and Tranquility

Ah, peace and tranquility. Can't you feel it? When I awoke this morning I was actually okay with last night's loss, perhaps because it wasn't a complete drumming. Yes, you read it right people, my total Type-A, take-no-prisoners mentality was okay with a loss. I must be getting daft.

The boys dropped their sixth straight last night at Chico, losing 4-1 and putting their record at 12-8 (.600) and third in the standings, but they only gave up four runs! Only four runs! I'm practically rejoicing! Perhaps this is the sign that the defense is stepping it up and things may yet turn around. Now we just need to rekindle the fire of the wood. We are only a game and a half back so there is time to turn this around.

Now most baseball fans probably wouldn't be too pleased with their club if they had accomplished what I described above (Oh! I just had a flashback of my Nats of last year and this year and, honestly, for more years past than I can recollect!). But we must take into account a few things with the Scorpions:

1. The Yuma Scorpions exploded out of the gate, starting the season at 6-0 before dropping one on the road to Long Beach. The club then won five straight, taking them to 11-1. Another loss (road), another win (OC), and a 12-2 record. I now realize that we were being set up for a grave disappointment. As my financial guy likes to remind me, often, when I freak out, 'What goes up must come down. Be patient and ride out the storm.' Well, even he knows that the adjective 'patient' has never been used in the same sentence with my name so it's hard to convince me otherwise.

2. The loss of Langlois and Gipson struck a blow. Langlois was in his second season with the club, was a fixture in the Yuma community, and I'd like to think he was sort of the 'captain' of the club, along with Calderon and Saucedo, the only three players to have stayed with the team. Oh, and Langlois was, really, a pretty decent pitcher.

3. I blogged about how terrific the club was doing and once I began doing that the never-to-end slide into baseball oblivion began. Truly, I think I may have jinxed the team!

But fear not as I do have a solution to #3. I shall listen to tonight's and Thursday's games (and likely post a comment or two). Whether they win or not won't change my itinerary. Naturally, I'd like to see the boys win, but I figure to have a three-day weekend on the river. Sun, fun, perhaps some libations and a bit of fishing and skiing, and NO AM radio on the dial. And no blogging. I am going to de-stress this weekend! Right, we'll see how long that lasts; probably about as long as the Scorpions' best record in independent baseball! One day.

TTFN!

2 comments:

Heather said...

No game Thursday...kind of nice for us and them. I need to restock my fridge anyway....Spoke with Kevin today and he seems to believe we'll pull out of this. I think if you're going to wrap up and GIAFREAKINGNORMOUS away trip, no better way than to face Reno and St. George...ah haaaa things may be looking up.

Keith K. said...

Reno slammed St. George for 44 runs in three days. Granted, it was St. George, but it may also be a sign that Reno is pulling put of the slump. And they are 4-1 at home so all the cards seem against the 0 for the last seven Scorpions. We'll see how it goes. I'll be there and do a game report afterwards.